Friday, November 20, 2009

Let Go...and "Play-Doh"!

It was 7:30 in the morning and I was already tired, stressed, and cranky. I wasn’t feeling well and my dear two year old was pushing me to my limit. I was trying to clean up the million little messes in the house, but he wanted my attention and was trying every negative behavior in order to get it. Along with all of this chaos, we were supposed to be getting ready to go to MOPS (a mom’s group I am in). It suddenly hit me, I needed to just stop. I needed to wipe everything off my agenda for a few minutes, and sit down and give my son 100% of my attention. I remembered that I had bought a new play-doh kit that he hadn’t even seen yet. So I plopped his little card table and chairs right in the middle of the messy kitchen and said, “Dylan, let’s do play-doh.” I was amazed at how the intensity of stress, both mine and his, immediately melted away. His big brown eyes lit up and every bit of his toddler attitude and defiance was gone. Dylan and I sat at that little table and played for two hours! Two hours!! (Maya blessed us with a long early nap!) The house was a disaster, and we missed MOPS, but I did not care one bit. For two hours we made snakes, spiders, penguins, flowers, rain, suns, and baseballs. We used fun words like squeeze and squish and roll. We talked about letters, numbers, colors and shapes. We sang a silly song that I made up about keeping the play-doh on the table and not on the floor! For two hours I played with my son in a way that I haven’t in a very long time. I am so thankful for this, and realize that as often as I can, I need to let go of my agenda and just “be” with my kids.






2 comments:

Mommy said...

I was wondering what happened to you on Tuesday? Oh, but what a sweet post. You are so right. I need to be better at that and STOP everything I do during the day and play more with my girls. I know these years will slip away faster than I realize. Thank you for sharing about your day. It was a great post and the photos are adorable!

Toni said...

Melis! I love this post. So true and I need to do more of this as well. Some days go by and I think, man did I even play with my kids? 2 hours is amazing!!! Love you guys.