Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Year

Well, it’s January 8th, and I have yet to commit to any New Year’s resolutions or goals! I’ve been stewing over it for the past week, and just thinking about it brings anxiety. I haven’t really made resolutions for several years. January 1st comes along, and the pressure is there, as the perfect time for a clean slate. However, I think not making resolutions is my way of protecting myself from failure and disappointment.

This year I thought maybe I’d go with a theme. My good friend Jen comes up with a clever and catchy theme for herself each year. My first idea was a practical one:
“A place for everything, and everything in its place”.
Kind of lame, I know, but I thought it might help me in my attempt to get organized and stay organized.

However, in the past few days as I’ve procrastinated on setting goals or choosing my theme, these song lyrics from Francesca Battistelli just kept running through my head:

“It’s your life, whatcha gonna do, the world is watching you.
Every day, the choices you make, say what you are and who your heart beats for,
It’s an open door...”


As simple as they are, these words are becoming more profound and meaningful to me as I write…

“It’s your life, whatcha gonna do”- I want to embrace my life, my role as a wife, mom, friend, family member, etc. I feel like I am letting the daily grind bog me down and focusing too much on my stress, exhaustion, and meaningless details. I don’t want to look back on this time in my life and feel like I forgot to soak in every precious and blessed moment.

“The world is watching you”- Mostly, my children are watching me. I am the one they are with the most, and I know the things I do will greatly influence them. Do I want to be the mommy that spends the day caught up in “household” things? Or do I want to be the mommy that connects with her children in meaningful ways each day.

“Every day, the choices you make, say what you are and who your heart beats for.”-
My heart beats for my family, my friends and relationships, my home, and most importantly my God. My heart beats to live in a way that reflects and glorifies Him.

Making resolutions for an entire year is way too overwhelming for me. I am very much a one day at a time kind of person. So this year I will resolve to wake up each morning and make positive, productive, and meaningful choices for that day. Choices that say what I am and who my heart beats for.

With this frame of mind I feel like I just may be able to succeed this year!

(*I found a little motivation from other's goals and resolutions on Kelly’s Corner, Show us Your Life. Check it out!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love this idea! What a great resolution!

Christine said...

love it mel. really inspiring.... xoxo

Mommy said...

Oh I love your thoughts! So true...I am not a fan of resolutions. I think you'll succeed with your goals! All the best :)

Toni said...

Melis, I love this post. You are such a beautiful and thoughtful writer. I love that you made your new years goal something so meaningful and attainable for yourself. Lots of love and luck. It is truly my privilege to know you.